You’ve worked hard, saved your money, and waited patiently for that perfect property to come onto the market. Now that moment has come, so what can you do to protect your rights and ensure a successful, safe transaction? Whether it’s your first home or a commercial space, real estate matters can be both emotional and complex. They are often the most expensive investment you will make in your lifetime. As such, they should be regarded with the utmost caution and care. While many people enlist the help of a real estate agent, they often overlook the critical need for a real estate attorney. A skilled lawyer can help ensure that your rights and assets are protected when it comes to property issues.
If you are thinking about buying or selling property, or if you’ve already found yourself in a confusing or frustrating real estate matter, the lawyers at DeLoach, Hofstra & Cavonis, P.A. can help. With over 30 years of experience in Seminole and the surrounding areas, we understand the unique needs of our local community and have helped many clients both resolve problems and facilitate smooth real estate transactions. Call our office today to schedule a consultation and learn more about your real estate options. If you prefer, take a moment to fill out our quick online contact form for a personal response from a member of our team.
The Basics of a Florida Real Estate Transaction
At its most basic, a real estate transaction is an agreement between a buyer and seller. Typically, the seller (and often the buyer, as well) retains an agent who acts as a broker, or intermediary, between the parties to handle negotiations. When the buyer and seller reach an agreement, they sign a formal contract. A title search occurs to confirm the ownership of the seller, while the buyer usually secures a bank loan and hires an inspector to examine the home. When both sides are satisfied, the title is transferred to the buyer and the bank pays the seller.
This sounds like a fairly simple and straightforward transaction. Many times, it can be. Often, however, there are many other factors at play, and the situation can easily turn into a legal and financial nightmare without proper guidance.
Why Do I Need a Real Estate Lawyer for My Florida Purchase or Sale?
While Florida law does not require a lawyer to be involved in real estate transactions, it is a good idea. An experienced attorney can help ensure a smooth transaction by working with buyers and sellers to identify and avoid some common problems before they become larger, more expensive issues. Any time you are going to sign a contract, it helps to have an attorney review the language to make sure you are not agreeing to anything too vague, confusing, or unknown. With respect to real estate, both buyers and sellers often enter into contracts with brokers, and they sign purchase agreements. In most steps along the way, some type of agreement is made. Often, real estate agents will use standard, one-size-fits-all forms, and only a skilled attorney can ensure your rights and assets are being protected appropriately.
Additionally, real estate lawyers can help answer any questions you may have about the legal ramifications of a purchase or sale, and they can help to draft forms. This is necessary for a number of purchase concerns, including:
- Tax issues
- Title searches
- Broken agreements
- Mortgage loan agreements
- Closing documents
Often, a real estate agent will have conflicting interests in a sale or purchase. While they may be an honest agent, they will nearly always stand to make more money with a higher purchase price. Real estate lawyers do not work this way. For an affordable fee, we can offer guidance tailored to meet your goals alone.
Services Our Real Estate Team Can Provide
The role of a real estate lawyer is to help the transaction process in a smooth and efficient manner, with your rights and your assets protected. Our law firm has been successful at easing this process in situations both large and small. We have handled real estate matters for everyone from first-time home buyers to those with cases worth over $40 million. We offer services for:
- Residential clients. For those interested in buying or selling a home, our experienced lawyers help facilitate a smooth process. We work hard to review or draft concise, appropriate documents and minimize any surprises.
- Commercial clients. Commercial real estate transactions are complex and can consume a large amount of time, money, and resources. From single family residences to large commercial complexes, our legal team has handled it all. We represent buyers, sellers, and developers to address a wide variety of issues, from leasing problems to litigation. Don’t risk your livelihood; let our commercial real estate team offer its support and vigorous representation today.
- Associations. Homeowners' associations exist to help homeowners protect their investments and maintain a desirable community. However, from both sides of the fence, issues can arise. Delinquent accounts, warranty claims, contract disputes, and more can put the association and residents at odds. Our legal team can draft specific and legally solid documents, interpret those contracts, resolve disputes, and represent your interests in litigation if necessary.
- Titles. For any type of real estate transaction to be successful, a deed of ownership must be transferred. To that end, title searches are done to ensure there are no questions of ownership or unresolved issues associated with the property. Clearly, a poorly executed titled search can result in a number of expensive, unanticipated problems, including unresolved liens or ownership issues. We provide title services through our title company, Seminole Title Company. From right here in our office, we can locate the vital information you need for a successful transaction.
- Florida Partition Actions. In the event you co-own land with someone else and you cannot agree to selling the property, you may want to learn more about the court process that can assist you. Let us teach you more about Florida Partition Actions.
Call Our Real Estate Attorneys Today
Not only do real estate issues affect your financial bottom line, they involve the very place you call home. With so much at stake, why leave anything to chance? At DeLoach, Hofstra & Cavonis, P.A., our real estate lawyers work hard to help every client understand his unique situation, learn about all available legal options, and ensure there are no surprises when it comes to buying or selling property.
If you are thinking about a property transaction, or even if you’re already involved in a frustrating real estate problem, don’t hesitate to contact our experienced lawyers today. Call the Seminole office of DeLoach, Hofstra & Cavonis, P.A. or take a moment to fill out our online contact form for a prompt response from a member of our team.