I recommend that victims never talk to an at-fault driver’s insurance company, no matter how much an adjuster calls you or attempts to contact you. However, it may be necessary to coordinate with your own insurance provider after a car accident to make repairs to your vehicle. Although your insurer should be working for you, you must still be careful what information you provide.

Keep This in Mind When Talking to Your Insurance Representative

What to say when talking to an insurance adjusterYour insurance adjuster conducts a comprehensive review of the accident and works with the at-fault driver’s insurance company to settle any claims. It's still in your insurer’s best interest to pay as little as possible, and any mistakes you make after a crash can give it a reason to reduce your payment. 

When it comes to dealing with your own insurance agent, you should:

  • File a claim as soon as possible. Call your insurance company as soon as possible following a car accident. Most companies have a dedicated claims hotline where policyholders can report accidents day or night. Your insurance representative should explain your coverage and ask for a few basic details, such as the location of the accident and the name and insurance provider of the other driver.
  • Discuss vehicle repairs only. Your own insurer handles the property damage portion of your claim. This can include towing your vehicle, finding a body shop nearby, providing you with a rental car, and making satisfactory repairs—or replacing the vehicle if it's a total loss.
  • Don’t talk about your injuries. If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance, your auto insurance provider becomes liable for your injury damages if the other driver’s insurance isn’t enough to cover your medical costs.

At DeLoach, Hofstra & Cavonis, P.A., our Seminole car accident lawyer secures the rightful compensation you need to put a car accident behind you—and we don't collect any fees until your case is won. If you have any questions, please fill out the form on this page, and a member of our injury team will get back to you immediately. And of course, you can always call our office at (727) 397-5571.


Paul R. Cavonis
Connect with me
Injury Law and Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney