Florida laws impose strict penalties such as jail time and heavy fines for leaving the scene of an accident. However, hundreds of victims are still injured every year by hit-and-run drivers. If you are unable to identify the responsible party in your crash, you may have to seek other forms of payment rather than filing an injury claim against the vanishing motorist.

Collecting Compensation for a Florida Hit-and-Run Accident

Injury compensation after a hit-and-run crash

The best way to improve your chances of getting compensation after a hit-and-run crash is to report the incident to the police.

Filing a police report not only allows officers to pursue the investigation while you're recovering from injury, it also makes you eligible to receive payment from the Florida Crimes Compensation Trust Fund if the driver is never identified.

Victims may also be able to collect compensation for hit-and-run accidents through:

  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance. All Florida drivers are required to carry PIP insurance through their auto insurance policies. Most PIP coverage pays for 80 percent of any medical expenses related to the crash, including your own. However, your claim may be denied if you weren't treated by a doctor within 14 days of the incident.
  • Uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM) insurance. If you selected uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverage as part of your auto insurance policy, then you may be able to recover damages by making a claim with this provider.
  • Health insurance. If you use your health insurance to pay for costs related to the accident, your health insurance carrier can seek reimbursement through your auto insurance provider.

The compensation options for a hit-and-run car accident vary widely depending on your circumstances, so it's a good idea to meet with us to determine the best way to get maximum coverage for your injury costs.

Attorney Paul Cavonis can offer advice on your best options and get the compensation you need to recover—and our firm doesn't collect any fees until your case is settled. Simply fill out the quick contact form on this page to set up your initial consultation.